Translate

Friday, September 07, 2012

Red Hat Ladies ~ WIP 3

 





I've finished the third lady's face and am now on to her hat. The ribbons will be easy, the feathers maybe not so much. I did some experimenting on scrap paper and I think I may have a solution. All her feathers are of the downy variety. Achieving that light, fuzzy effect could still be problematic but I may come close by dropping clear water onto the paper, then taking the handle end of a small brush and 'feathering' the water outward. Before the water can dry I plan to drop in my watercolor, thick paint (straight from the tube), and just let it follow the water as watercolor paint tends to do. I can help it along with the brush handle if need be. While the paper is still damp I can scratch in the quill part of the feathers with the same brush handle.


2 comments:

renate said...

Hello Billie:) I think your ladies are very beautiful. The colors are also very harmonious. According to me it is not an easy painting!
You are doing a great job!

Billie Crain said...

I am quite happy with my progress so far, especially on this paper, Renate. It has its challenges but also it's benefits. Bristol board may become something I use more often in the future.