Translate

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Catnapping II~ Tuckered Out Tabby

Transparent watercolor on Arches 140# HP w/c paper
Dimensions: 15" x 11"

I found another napping cat reference tucked away in my picture albums so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not sure where I found the reference as I've had it for awhile now. I'm pretty sure it's from the WC RIL. Unfortunately, I neglected to make note of the photographer. I don't make that mistake anymore.


This kitty is snoozing on a stone bench but I decided to leave him hanging mid-air with only a suggestion of the bench seat beneath him. I used much more color this time, as you can see. I liked the angle this one was shot at, the paw being closer to the camera lense so it appears much larger in proportion to the rest of the cat. Some may not like it for the very same reason. I fear I overworked the face and the right(viewer's right) leg. I've found the trick to painting in this style is to get in and get out and DON'T keep going back in to fiddle. The temptation to add unnecessary detail is still pretty strong with me but only muddies up the final result.

4 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

I think it's gorgeous.

Billie Crain said...

Thank you, Jeanne!

Tracey said...

I love it! I really like how his paw is hanging over the edge and you only suggested the surface, very cool effect!

Billie Crain said...

Thank you, Tracey!