Translate

Sunday, July 14, 2013

House on Thistle Downs ~ WIP color trial


Last night I did a quick sketch on a scrap of Yupo with Micron pen and Sharpie, then sprayed with a generous coating of Krylon workable fixative. Today I chose a palette of Ranger's Willow and Terracotta alcohol ink and did a pour, letting the colors mingle. Sharpie ink will bleed slightly when alcohol is applied and it creates a grey/blue color which I think works well with this palette. The workable fixative keeps the alcohol ink from spreading out and taking over. In short, it makes it slightly more manageable. I did drop in some rubbing alcohol with my oiler boiler to get the ink moving in the right direction. I noticed a few interesting textures appeared as the ink dried which I really liked. I'm not sure how that happened but suspect the workable fixative may have had something to do with it. I plan to try a few other color options but I really like this one at the moment.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I like it - it has a very fluid feel to it, as if the doorway is magical and may not always be there, where you left it!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I love this! The colours and house are perfect together. Definitely a story in there somewhere.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Pat. :) I do hope to conjure up a magical affect. I like your interpretation!

Billie Crain said...

I like these colors too, Jeanette. I tried a different palette last night on another sketch, adding several more colors. I like it but fear it would make the finished piece too busy. I think a limited palette would work best.