Translate

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Creating a Body of Work

The subject of this post is something that I've pondered for quite some time. Do I have a legitimate body of work? I'm not entirely sure at this point. I found a YouTube video on Col Mitchell's Facebook art page that addressed this very subject and that I will share with my readers today. Truth be told I tend to bore easily, lack discipline and become easily distracted by yet another style, subject, etc. For example, I recently found the most amazing artwork that fascinated me. How did this artist do this?! She had created textures in either paint or ink I had never seen before and I was enthralled. Unfortunately I neglected to bookmark the website and I can not find it again! I don't recall her name or how I stumbled onto her work in the first place so for the last few days I've been scouring the net, hot on the hunt and with no luck. How much painting have I gotten done? None! Anyway, I digress....

Today I've been asking myself "What do I have to offer the art world that is unique to me, that I am passionate about and that would keep me focused?" Well, I never tire of Nature and organic shapes, I adore texture of any kind and love to incorporate it into my work. I shy away from anything that is/seems tedious to paint and I seek to work with more freedom of expression but I like to also add at least a small element of realism to satisfy the part of me that needs things to make obvious sense. I may add to this list but I already have enough to narrow down my options and find a direction. The trick for me will be to stay on that path for a month, a year...who knows?

I hope you will take a few minutes to watch this video. There are many ways to create a consistent body of work.

  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting video, Billie! I feel the same as you and I think I am starting to create a body of work with my collage pieces, but I still love to experiment with anything I think is cool or looks interesting!

Billie Crain said...

You definitely have created a body of collage work, Patty. Amazing stuff. I may pursue the alcohol ink path. I've been dabbling with this medium since last summer and it still excites me. My waxed paper faux batik technique will be one of the ink techniques featured in an upcoming book. I haven't found anything like it, at least online so I guess that would make it unique to me. Time will tell.

Unknown said...

Love your alcohol ink paintings! You are writing a book? How exciting!

Billie Crain said...

It's not my book, Patty. I was invited by the author to participate and I plan on doing so. I think she intended to self publish, then discovered she had a publisher interested! I can't turn this down.

Judith Farnworth Art said...

This is a great post Billie and something I have also been working towards... trying to get a cohesive body of work together... I have an exhibition in November where I will need about 40 paintings so there will have to be some miscellaneous pieces but am working on a collection of animals and florals, framing them consistently and hope they will look like my work has a style... fingers crossed!!

Billie Crain said...

40 paintings? OMG....I'd be beside myself, Judith! More power to you and best of luck with the exhibition! I think your loose style watercolors would absolutely be considered a consistent body of work. The frames should seal the deal.