Translate

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Garlic Harvest

Here's my harvest hanging out on newspaper on my treadmill. Garlic has to cure for 3-4 weeks before getting a clean up and heading to the table or being made into a braid.

I wish I had some artwork to post but I haven't felt very creative the past few days. This heat wave we're experiencing has raised hob with my breathing and yesterday I woke up with laryngitis, probably from spending too much time near the AC. I knew I had to harvest my garlic before the predicted rain arrived so I waited until almost 10pm last night to venture out and get it done. At least the temps were tolerable at that time and unbeknownst to me my Cheap Joe's order had been delivered and was lying on my porch. It would've laid there all night had I not gone out.


Last Fall I planted three varieties of garlic, 2 hard neck and 1 soft neck. All did pretty well and it was a successful harvest. For those that have never grown garlic, the hard neck varieties produce scapes which are the stems and flower buds and these must be removed so all the plants' energy goes into the bulbs. Garlic scapes make delicious pesto. I cut the scapes earlier in the month and made a batch which is almost gone already. Wonderful on pasta (of course) and this pesto is also great on burgers.

No comments: