Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I'll Never Be A Sculptor



After trying to get the ear placement correct on my latest cat piece, I resorted to a suggestion given to me on Wetcanvas.com. I made a(very!)crude sculpture of a cat's head out of a kneaded eraser and bent it down in the desired position. I then bent the ears in the direction I wanted. I realized I was in the ballpark with recent corrections but wasn't quite all the way to home base. Please forgive my lack of sculpting skills. *LOL* I've done sillier things to help create my fantasy work. Oh well, it's all in the name of art...right?

5 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Great idea to work out positioning with clay or a kneaded eraser. Even if it does look a little macabre to see the cat's head on a stick...

I have a little cat manikin that I bought, more for fun than use. It wasn't expensive and could be useful for you when you can't bribe your cats to pose.

Billie Crain said...

where did you get your cat mannequin? i sure could use one. I'm still fooling around with my cat head. it's beginning to look too realistic which i don't want. maybe when i paint it the realism will be lost.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I believe I found it on Ebay Billie. It only cost about $10 or $12 dollars.

But you can shop around and find them cheaper. Here are some at Blicks

http://www.dickblick.com/products/cat-and-dog-manikins/

Anita said...

I am sure that you could be a sculptor - working so tiny is no real test! Would love to see what you did with life size cat head. Great way to test your positioning. Never seen a cat mannequin either.

Billie Crain said...

Anita, kneaded erasers aren't the best medium for sculpting, IMO. Maybe if I had some better sculpting tools I could've created something more esthetically pleasing but it got the job done nonetheless. I wonder what I'd be able to accomplish if I had a huge lump of sculpting clay, tho. lol