Friday, August 13, 2010
Pat's Sunflower~Time to Start Over
Well, sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. In this case, they didn't but I will post my results anyway. I made a vow awhile back that I would share my failures as well as my successes.
I wound up using fluid acrylics for the entire painting. I had the brilliant idea that I would create texture for the center of the flower with white acrylic gesso, then lay in my foundation colors...the yellows, reds, etc. When those were dry I then planned to go over the same area with a very dark color and quickly wipe away this same dark color from the more raised areas of the texture leaving the deeper color in the crevices creating contrast and definition. It was a sound plan but could've been better executed. I didn't create enough texture for my idea to be successful. I've been using this painting to experiment on so it isn't going to waste.
There was a time if I produced a failed painting it used to throw me for a loop. I was only as good an artist as my last painting. Today I see it as nothing more than a learning experience. Happily I can say that now and really mean it. Rather than questioning my abilities, berating myself and quickly tossing the painting in the bin to hide the evidence I study the problem and figure out what went wrong and how I can do things differently next time. No failure is a waste. There's something to be learned every time I put brush and paint to paper, no matter what the outcome.