Translate

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Small Works ~ in progress


The rainy background is strips of newspaper glued to Yupo. The figure is soft pastel.
This one is still a work in progress. I'm not sure where its headed yet.

I'm working on a series of small 'creations' using various techniques I've been dying to try out. A little collage, some mixed media, ink...anything that floats my boat. Since these are all roughly 4" x 6", if a few fail it's no big deal. My style seems to be no style so why not go with that premise and see where it takes me. Last year I chose to stick with the alcohol ink but because my lungs have become so touchy I've been hesitant to play with these inks too often. I'm not planning to give them up by any means but I thought I'd mix things up a bit.  

4 comments:

Katherine Harra said...

Billie, I like both of these a lot, but especially the collage and image of the figure in the rain. I'm trying to read the words, yet not, so I find myself wondering about a story behind it. Perfect!

Billie Crain said...

I've wanted to try collage for a long time. I'm not sure why I struggle with it so much. I'm glad you like my latest efforts.

Unknown said...

I like both :) The rainy figure I think is perfect! Good and interesting background, great drawing.

Struggling with collage...yes I know.
I am not (yet?) good with it, but I have learned a few things about it over the year:
- save your most beautifull pieces of paper for the last
- make layers upon layers upon layers- use gesso between layers, all over or over parts, so layers and layers of colour(tones) make a background you like and then blend in/blend up your fav pieces of paper for the theme of your collage.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Cecile! I'll take your advice. I am totally lost when it comes to collage but I keep trying. I can always use a little guidance.