Translate

Monday, November 11, 2013

Mighty Mack ~ complete



I finished this up yesterday but found myself futzing around with it today until I told myself to "stop it, Billie!" I can't say I'm not glad it's done, though. I will see straight lines in my nightmares probably for weeks.

I was really impressed with neutral tint while painting the bridge. The tower is mostly neutral tint and it created a lovely rich black that was easy to lift and move with a damp brush. Up until now I'd only used it to mix with various colors to lower their chroma without changing the hue. Now I know it can stand on it's own and do it well. It still came in handy to desaturate the 'orange blossom' in the lower left corner while still allowing it to glow. I think the painting truly came to life when I added the white gouache highlights to the suspension cables on the right. So here it is...my Mighty Mack, silhouetted against a stormy sky! I hope it looks as foreboding as it does IRL.                                            
               
  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One word: CONGRATS !

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Cecile! Your suggestion to lower the shoreline(horizon line)worked great.