Translate

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Mushroom Houses




Today has been one of those amazing autumn days in northern Michigan when the sun is shining and the weather is unseasonably warm. The perfect day to go out and take photos and give the new camera a test run. I chose this opportunity to snap some shots of a few Earl Young 'mushroom houses'. Although many of the homes are surrounded by lots of trees and foliage, most are visible enough to get a sense of their unique architecture. Built from local stone and boulders, each house is also unique in it's own way. Mr. Young was often known for using green mortar when constructing his homes. It resembles moss growing between the stones which adds to the natural esthetic.  

2 comments:

Katherine Harra said...

I've been following your blog for a little while, but hadn't - somehow! - noticed that you were Michigan (too) until I saw this post about the Mushroom houses. I have not seen them in person, it's on my 'bucket list'. But: I am also a mitten woman, so I needed to let you know I'm following your blog.
I hope I can do the scrambled words right tonight: I mess it up half the time and my comments are lost. Fingers crossed.

Billie Crain said...

Success! You made it. :) I hate those security words and blame them for the lack of comments on blogs. }:( It's great to hear from another Michigander! I hope someday you are able to come here to see them. Even though these houses are in my hometown it was a bit of a struggle jockeying for space to shoot photos today. Seems these homes are on many bucket lists!