Translate

Monday, August 27, 2012

Red Hat Lady ~ color studies




So far I've done two trial runs on Arches #140 hotpress w/c paper. Wow, it's difficult to retain facial expressions and features while trying to duplicate skin tones, place shadows, etc. I also tried two different palettes and two separate styles. I'm now on to #90 coldpress to see what results I get on that substrate. I'm getting plenty of practice painting faces if nothing else. I'm going to feel like I know this woman personally by the time I'm done.

4 comments:

renate said...

Hello Billie:) So far you are doing a great job. It suprised me how a few lines can change a whole painting. The colors are beautiful. Wich one do you like best?

Billie Crain said...

I already knew from my graphite days that a good likeness is tricky to create. Fortunately, in this case I don't have to recreate these ladies's facial features perfectly. Right now I'm leaning toward the top image as my fave. I like the colors I used better and she looks more 'fresh'. There are elements from both I like. Hard to decided at this point.

Sadami said...

Dear Billie,
I like your drawings and paintings. Both are full of joy! I'm sure you really like it. Me, too, self-taught. Please make wonderful work that makes us happy!
Best wishes, Sadami

Billie Crain said...

Thank you very much, Sadami! I've gotten my drawing transferred(had to do it twice...will explain in my next post)and plan to start painting today. I'm going to let the painting tell me which way to go style-wise.