Saturday, July 30, 2011
Garlic Braid ~ Complete
I just finished this a moment ago and wanted to post it so I could check for problem areas and make tweaks if necessary.
The braid and the loose stem tops were painted with DS Undersea green, burnt umber, raw umber, a little violet I mixed up with Crimson lake and mauve and various greys I made from palette muck. I removed the drawing gum and finished off the roots with a mix of mauve and burnt umber. The twine is also palette muck grey. I'm not going to do a background. I like this as just a simple vignette. I even left the Fabriano mfg. mark clearly visible which I've never done before. It seemed to work with this painting as part of the composition.
P.S. This is my first painting done entirely from life. Working from life has it's challenges but I enjoyed it much more than anticipated.