Translate

Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Few Old Crows & a Feather


These crows are painted on Yupo with Speedball ink. I let them dry completely before applying the alcohol ink to my stamper and tamping it right on top of the birds. I did notice the Speedball ink eventually began to lift in spots so I stopped, then made a few corrections with a black Micron pen after everything had dried.


This crow was drawn on Yupo with a black permanent marker. Then I applied the alcohol ink over top same as I did with the first crows.

This one has a little bit of everything going on. I wanted to see what the inks would look like on a field of black so I painted an area with black Speedball, let dry completely, then tamped on some red and copper alcohol ink. That's the dark area you see. I created the feather by squeezing a large drop of white fluid acrylic onto Yupo, then used the tip of the handle of a paint brush to 'pull' the acrylic into a feathery shape.




I've been trying other mediums this evening with the alcohol ink to see what effects I can achieve. I didn't actually mix each medium with the ink. I did try the other day and found out alcohol ink and fluid acrylic do not mix! However one applied on top of the other can get you some interesting results.

4 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

I love to see how you're working these alcohol inks and the amazing patterns they create.

These crows are very dramatic, but that last feathery piece is just super. I love seeing how paint or ink moves and settles naturally forming shapes and patterns.

Billie Crain said...

These inks are right up my artistic alley, Jeanette. I love the vibrancy and all those textures...wow. I'm loving the Yupo as well. That was a surprise, I might add.

Unknown said...

The works really nice :)

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Pandy! Welcome to my blog.:)