Friday, August 23, 2013

Back to School ~ complete

I scanned the completed painting. The colors are still off but better than the photos. There's no green in the painting even though it looks like it on my monitor and the colors are slightly softer.


It took me awhile but I finally finished this. I did a few more pours, then applied liquid masking to some of the fish. The intention was to work on those fish separately after the masking was removed so they wouldn't blend into the background so much. Today I lifted some areas of ink, re-inked various lines, added gold and silver metallic Jacquard Lumiere paint to areas of the fish and also drizzled copper and gold Lumiere throughout the background. I also added a few ink lines with Micron pen to the background to tie it into my COI, the fish. I kept to my original palette of Ranger's Wild Plum, Sunset Orange, Purple Twilight, Watermelon, Peach Bellini and Cool Peri. I like the candy colors!

With masking applied(left) and after removal(right). Sorry for the poor quality images. These colors do not photograph well.

6 comments:

cecile graven said...

like it ! the masking has helped a lot.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Cecile! Yes, the masking did help. Otherwise it looked like nothing more than an ink drawing I dribbled alcohol ink over. I wanted to distinguish each fish in some way.

Phil Davis said...

Love it

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Phil. :)

santastu said...


Fishy Art work,
always a interesting subject for me,
as it made up so much of my school
exam work 50 years.

Billie Crain said...

Fishy artwork. I like it! Welcome to my blog, santastu. :)