Translate

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Oil & Watercolor~continued

Here is the result of a mixture of silver oil based enamel paint and watercolor/fluid acrylic poured onto damp w/c paper. Pretty dramatic, wouldn't you say? I thought so.


A closeup of a really cool passage.


One more closeup.

This is the result after dropping silver oil based enamel into wet watercolor on paper. The enamel tended to push the watercolor away and create it's own blooms on the surface.


This is gold metallic oil paint thinned with mineral spirits, then premixed with a watercolor/fluid acrylic mixture and poured onto damp paper. I couldn't get a very good photo but I was pleased that the thinned paint dispersed much better on the surface. The look is much softer IRL and the closest to Ann Blockley's results.

Instead of dropping the oil based paint onto wet paint/paper I premixed it with my watercolor/fluid acrylic and poured it onto damp paper. It formed this scroll work all on it's own.

I continued to experiment with the oil based paint today. In all the trials I used #140 CP Fabriano Uno w/c paper as a substrate. All of my results were interesting and created varying effects. Some of my water based mixtures were straight watercolor, some with fluid acrylics added. This is not something I would try during the winter months due to fumes and lack of proper ventilation.

Observations: I noticed if I wanted to manipulate the oil paint on my paper I needed to do it as soon after applying as possible. Otherwise I wound up with slightly congealed (and partially solid) masses or 'islands' of oil paint floating on the wet surface that broke apart in a very unattractive way when I tried to use a bamboo skewer to disperse them.

Also I mixed my oil paint/watercolor combos in those flimsy mini yogurt cups. Next time I will find something sturdier as the oil based paints will dissolve the bottoms of these containers in fairly short order.

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

These patterns are beautiful,like some mysterious mapping.

I don't quite understand the process but the results are stunning.

Billie Crain said...

The top photo reminds me of those satellite images of Earth. All the cloud formations from waaay up there.

If you tell me what you don't understand I can certainly try to clarify for you. Basically it's just adding oil paint into watermedia for effect. I did several trial swatches to see what would happen and posted some of my results. I just wish I could've gotten better photos.

cabap said...

great job Billie,
jan :)

Vera Dennen said...

Billie, my daughter floats fluid acrylic on top of her paintings from time to time. Makes wonderful effects.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Jan.:)

Billie Crain said...

This experiment was about adding oil based paint into watermedia, Vera. So far I have not been able to duplicate Blockley's results. I'm thinking it may be a difference in oil based paint that's causing some issues. Always fun to try something new anyway.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Billie, today's results are so unusual and beautiful. I would think that the the brand of oil paint may have an impact on the results.
I hope that you will continue to explore this and will share so generously with the rest of us. This is exciting!

Billie Crain said...

I agree, Christiane...paint may vary from brand to brand. Ann Blockley is in the U.K. and their metallic paint may be very different from what's available in the US. I still have not been able to reproduce Ann's results with any consistency but I'll keep trying over time and who knows, I might find the 'magic' paint someday.

AK said...

Never explored anything like this. Amazing results.

Billie Crain said...

I love experimenting like this, Asit. I have failures and successes but when something works it's a revelation, at least for me.

Patty said...

Really, really interesting, Billie!! Another thing I'll have to try!

Billie Crain said...

If you do Patty, please post your results. I'd be interested to see what you can do with the oil based paint. I was never able to recreate Ann's results with the paint I have.