Translate

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Maine Coon Kitten~Completed

Maine Coon Kitten on Arches 140# HP paper
Dimensions: 11" x 15"
SOLD

Sorry for taking so long to post the finished piece. The paper was buckled from the poured background so I wet the back down and placed it under a piece of foamcore covered in clear contact paper and heavy books to smooth things out. It took three days to dry because the weather has been so humid lately. Today the humidity has finally come down, the paper is completely dry and I did my final corrections. The colors are a little off and the markings on his head aren't as dark as they appear in the image.


If I had known how much fiddling I would be doing to this one I'd never have done it on HP w/c paper. It just won't take the abuse. As a consequence, it looks a bit overworked IRL for my taste. In retrospect I might have 'rethunk' my palette as well. It would've worked on a more loose style painting but started to look muddy the more I went back in to adjust. As much as I hate retreading old ground, so to speak, I may just have to do this one over again and loosen things up a lot.

6 comments:

perugina said...

Hi Billie! I did not know about straightening the paper by wetting the back and then placing under some weight. Sometimes I iron the back on my works with a steam iron! Is this a no no! (laughs nervously) On reading your thoughts.. i feel you are being way too hard on your self – she/he is just glorious as is.. your colour palette is purrfect!
BRAVISSIMA!

Billie Crain said...

I don't have a steam iron but that sounds like it would work just fine as long as the steam doesn't penetrate through to the painted side and rewet your work.:)If you've had good luck with the iron then by all means, keep using it! *thumbsup*

Thank you for your wonderful comment on my kitten.:) I've spent so much time on this little cat that I may have become over critical. After doing several looser style paintings in a row all the extra detail on this one made it look overdone to me.

Krista Hasson said...

Billie, I think it is fantastic, put it away for a few days and then look at it again, you will see how wonderful it is. I find if I have a hard time with one I can get so I don't like it, but if I put it away and then look at it later I see it with completely new eyes. I also use a steam iron to smooth out my paper, then I weight it down until it is dry (works like a charm). Well Done!

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Krista! I've put this one aside for now because I agree with you. Too much time with one painting and you start to lose focus and become too critical of yourself. At least I do.

I changed so many things along the way on this one. I warmed up the colors of the fur, then decided to cool them back down, I scrubbed out the lighter areas which is a big no-no on HP...the list goes on. This may still become a redo but I'll hang on to the original and see if it grows on me.

Sandy Maudlin said...

Ooooh. This makes me miss our Maine Coon kitty who lived to be at last 21! Yours looks precious.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks Sandy and welcome to my blog! I've been admiring your batik watercolors on rice paper and your work on Yupo. I'd love to try the rice paper.