Translate

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Painting on Black Paper



I've spent the last few weeks experimenting with all sorts of ideas. Most wound up in the bin but I thought I'd share this one with you. This was painted on black Strathmore Artagain paper with regular watercolor and a little white fluid acrylic. I was pleased with the effect I was able to achieve painting those lovely semi-transparent fins and tails on the black background. This was also a real bugger to photograph. I've found black usually is problematic for the camera, especially for this cameraman/woman.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I really like this Billie! I almost laughed when I saw it because just today I was wondering if I could use watercolors on Mi-Tentis colored paper and was thinking about playing around with the combo to see what happened. I've never tried to paint on colored paper before. Then I come here and see you are painting on black paper. What are the odds???

Billie Crain said...

Hey Stacy! I knew some watercolor artists work on colored paper but wasn't sure the Artagain would stand up to the moisture. It did surprisingly well. Can't wait to see what you do with colored paper.:)