Translate

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Trio Of Lady Slippers


I finally completed this one. Yes! However, I didn't get all my Spring cleaning done but I did make a big dent in it. I decided to give my studio a very thorough cleaning and now I can't find anything! Then we finally had a fairly warm day without rain so I knew I had better get busy and start cleaning out my many flower beds. I gave two huge stands of ornamental grass their Spring buzzcut and my neighbor came by with his leaf blower and saved me the trouble of raking my lawn. Thank you, Mark!


As for my lady slippers, I'm pretty happy with the result. I'd love to do another project featuring lady slippers using a different palette. I'm not a botanical artist by any means so these 'ladys' are unique. I added whatever flourishes to them I wanted to see with no regard for species. *Note: The bead of masking fluid I added along the edges of my artist tape failed in a few places and I did get some bleeding into the outer borders, mostly in the corners. I'll have to be more careful next time. I'd love to be able to float mount one of my poured florals but that calls for a pristine border around the painting so I hope I have better luck with that next time.

5 comments:

Mary said...

The Lady Slippers look so luscious and real, Billie. I love the colors, too.

Unknown said...

I agree with Mary Billie I think the colors look very nice in this painting.

Mike

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Mike! I thought the yellow made the lady slippers really pop.

Stacy said...

Billie, your lady slippers turned out wonderful. I am amazed that a messy process like a pour can produce such a beautiful back ground!!

Billie Crain said...

I love pours, Stacy. You never know quite how they'll turn out. At least I don't. It's an exciting albeit messy technique but when it goes well it can be stunning. I need to experiment more with different palettes. Pours can turn to mud really fast if the wrong colors are used. I've found that out the hard way.