Translate

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A little more about me

I'm primarily a self taught artist. As far back as I can recall I've always loved to draw. I took three terms of art my freshman year at Northwestern Michigan College in Traverse City, Mi. Looking back and through no fault of my professors I learned absolutely nothing. 1969 was a wild year and I was easily caught up with the peace movement and all the turmoil of that period. After leaving college I enrolled in a trade school. Afterall, I DID need gainful employment! I met and married my husband in 1974 and had my first son later that year. My art fell by the wayside. It wasn't until I took a drawing class at a local art institute in 1995 that my interest in art was rekindled. Still I just dabbled, doing pet portraits for family and friends with my trusty HB pencil and an old pad of Beinfang drawing paper...for free. I chalked it up to 'practice'.

In 2004 I finally got myself a decent computer and shortly afterwards joined Gardenguides, an online gardening forum. My passion for gardening had started 10 years prior when I moved into my current residence. I had now found a whole world of gardeners to share my love of all things green, growing and blooming. I made many friends...you know who you are> Shinekeeper, Prettylady, BlueBelle, Sweetlebee, Flowers_Galore...just to name a few. These online friends knew I enjoyed drawing and encouraged me a great deal to keep persuing my art. I also met a woman on GG named Lisa who lead me to Wetcanvas. The rest is history. I was so inspired by all the incredible artists I saw on WC and dove into my art in a big way. It was like being a kid in a giant candy store! I tried my hand at pastels, colored pencil and learned so much from all the wonderful people on the Drawing and Sketching forum.

However, my first love has always been watercolor. I love the look of the medium...period. It's also a very challenging medium. At least it has been for me. I'm planning to persue this medium and try to conquer and eventually triumph! I'll be posting my trials, tribulations and in time, my successes on this blog. Stay tuned.

No comments: