Translate

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Liquitex Flexible Modeling Paste ~ product review



I'm always on the lookout for ways to add texture to some of my paintings. Today I experimented with this product and I highly recommend it to artists that prefer to work on paper like myself. It's flexible, as the label states, so it won't crack on flexible surfaces. Up to this point I've been relying on Liquitex gesso to get a degree of texture but there's a lot of moisture in gesso and it takes a long time to dry. Also it's rather runny, causing the paper to buckle, and has to be worked and reworked with a palette knife or other tool to produce an interesting surface. However this product is thick, easy to mold and dries much faster. It's also possible to get a high degree of texture not possible with acrylic gesso. I created this sample floral to see how well the modeling paste accepted watercolor and ink. It behaved very similar to gesso. Paint was pretty easy to lift but I think the surface tended to stain a bit more. If a non porous surface was needed a coat or two of high gloss gel medium over the modeling paste would accomplish that.  

4 comments:

Pat said...

Love the floral - and the product looks interesting.
There's another watercolour product which helps you paint like oils - and that's Aquapasto. I hope you can find and enjoy it xx

Billie Crain said...

Thanks for the tip, Pat.:) I did buy a jar of string gel that I haven't tried yet. There are so many products I'd love to try but I'm running out of places to store them.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

so beautiful!

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Sue. :)