Translate

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Red Screech Owl ~ WIP 2

Please disregard the odd shadow in the upper righthand corner of the image. I just noticed it. It won't be there when I post the final.



I think this is close to complete. There is still work to be done on the birch trunk but overall I'm fairly satisfied with my first attempt at an owl. I did run into a problem with the background. In a spot near the owl's head my w/c paper grabbed the paint and created a dark 'blob' that I could not blend nor remove so I decided to go much darker in that area to cover it. I feel I was able to balance this by adding an equally dark area to the birch trunk in the opposite corner of the comp.

My palette consists of Quin. gold deep and light red for the bulk of the feathers, burnt umber mixed with indigo for the other markings on the bird. My background is straight DaVinci Payne's grey and the birch bark is made of up of various mixtures of all this palette's colors.

2 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Beautiful. Lovely eyes and very soft looking plumage. It looks rather like the great horned owl that the ducks had a tussle with a couple of years ago.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Jeanette. The feathers were kind of tricky. I may still add some colored pencil to soften them.