Translate

Monday, April 26, 2010

Review~Cirrus Floating Picture Frame~Update

Pond Life I
watercolor on matboard
11" x 14" frame


Pond Life II
watercolor on matboard
8" x 10" frame


Pond Life III
watercolor on matboard
8" x 10" frame

I've just completed framing three paintings using the Cirrus floating frame system. See my initial review here. I really like the glass for these smaller frames. The extra weight isn't an issue at this size and I'm always so nervous when working with Plexi for fear I will inadvertently scratch it. Glass also doesn't collect static as much (cat hair is a major problem at my house).

I see Framatic has corrected their instructions regarding the adhesive tabs. Unfortunately the adhesive provided was not strong enough to support even a small piece (7" x 9") of 3/16" matboard. I'm not quite sure if it was the weight or the paper on the back surface of the matboard that was the problem. Either way it's of concern so I chose to use another adhesive I had on hand. For larger pieces I wouldn't bother with the tabs at all and instead use acid free foamcore in the traditional way.

July 6, 2010~Update: Framatic no longer produces the bronze floating frames which I show in the above images. The only colors now available are silver and black.

10 comments:

maggie said...

They look incredible....as I've said before...I'm a fan.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks Maggie! I'm thrilled you like these and very happy to have you as a fan.:)

Jeanette Jobson said...

These are great framed and these floating frames are new to me. I'll have to look into them for some of my framing needs.

Billie Crain said...

This type of frame is hard to find for some reason so I was very happy to find these. Floating a painting adds that special sumpthin', IMO.

perugina said...

Your paintings look fanstatico in these floating picture frames. What a delightful series they make Billie!
ciao
perugina

Billie Crain said...

Thank you, Perugina.:)

Anonymous said...

Billie these look GREAT! I love the frame you used. I might have to work smaller just so I can try it.
Could you expand on your comment about using foam core for a larger piece?

Billie Crain said...

Thank you, Robin! The Cirrus float mount frames are available in larger sizes. I think the largest is 20" x 24" which would accomodate a painting up to 18" x 22". It's recommended to leave at least a 1" border around the painting.

Normally when float mounting a watercolor a piece of acid free foamcore is attached to the back of the painting with rice paper hinges/wheat paste allowing a 1" overhang on all sides so the foamcore isn't visible when the framing is completed. The foamcore is mounted to the backer board using acrylic adhesive. I believe Nick Simmons float mounts some of his work and his paintings are huge! Here's a link you might find useful:

http://frametek.com/HTML/Articles/Float_Mounting.html

Janet Belich said...

Billie, these are great. I really think you should look into illustrating childrens books. Maybe I mentioned that to you before?

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Janet.:) I've been toying with the idea of writing my own children's book. I even joined a group on FB but heard publishing houses like to hire their own illustrators. I don't think I'd be good with deadlines anyway.