Translate

Friday, April 09, 2010

Dragonfly~Update


I've been playing around with this one today and thought I'd better put up an image on screen before going any further. Funny how I can spot things that need to be tweaked or changed better on screen than off. I'm staying with the same palette and starting to define the dragonfly. I added some blades of marsh grass for composition's sake and deepened the values in a few areas. My instincts are telling me I need to get some darker values going on, especially on the main subject to make it pop.

6 comments:

Krista Hasson said...

Billie this is looking great, love the background and your choice of colors. It will be a winner for sure!

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Krista.:) I'm planning a series of pond life scenes on matboard which I will float mount and this one will be among the series.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Great piece Billie. The colours work well so far and I think you're right, a few darks would really make this stand out.

We have tons of dragonflies here in the summer, the colours of them are amazing and I always mean to draw one if they stay still long enough to get a photo.

Diana said...

I really like this one Billie. A series will be very nice.

Billie Crain said...

Dragonflies are right up there with butterflies for me, Jeanette. So many different colors and variations. Fascinating little bugs. Yes, this definitely needs the values pumped up. It's looking a bit peek-ed.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Diana.:) I'll be using the Cirrus float mount frames I reviewed recently. Should make for a nice little series. It'll look good on a wall anyway.