Thursday, January 22, 2009
Milky Way WIP
Update: After my first attempt to paint this one without the benefit of doing a color study(shame on me...it failed miserably), I cut the back of the paper up into squares approx. 6"x 8" and did several studies with various palettes. I settled on this one.
I decided to freehand the Moon, enlarge it to outrageous proportions and attack this project with my trusty Mon Image spray bottles filled with diluted watercolors. (1.)I started with a light wash of DV Gamboge Hue by spraying the entire sheet and wiping the excess paint away with a paper towel. Great way to tone paper! (2.)I then applied Misket to the cats and the reflection in the water. I also spotted in a few stars. I used Frisket film to protect the Moon.(3.)Then the fun began. I sprayed like a maniac, directing and modifying the coverage with good old toilet paper. My paper towels had way too much texture for this purpose. The palette is basically Indigo mixed with FUB, Perylene Maroon(potent color!)mixed with Ultramarine violet and that's about it! I did use a bit of plain water in a sprayer to move the paint in places.
The Frisket film is still in place as is the Misket. I plan to tweak this further with some pastels so I'll remove the masking materials afterwards.