Translate

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Revisions



I've spent the last couple of weekends tweaking some older paintings and completely redoing one. I rarely do this(read never) so something has shifted in my brain. I do believe I've learned a few things (finally!!)so I actually had solutions to problems these paintings presented at the time of their completion(?). I redid the trilliums but truthfully I may like the first version better. I did think the first painting looked a bit sloppy but now it's looking more painterly. Anyhoo, one painting I was extremely happy to rescue was the Great Dane. Loved the dog, hated the background. At the time I was totally stumped as how to handle it so the outcome was pretty bad. This past weekend the solution was obvious. Another painting just needed more warmth. Yet another needed deeper shadows. I'm on a roll.

2 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Revisions are tricky especially with watercolour but you've carried it off very successfully. I agree that the new background for the dog seems to give it more solidity and a sense of being grounded.

The trilliums still works for me. What was it about the change you made that you don't like?

Billie Crain said...

I thought it looked a little stiff, if you know what I mean. That's why I avoid redoing my paintings. They tend to look very tight. I've since decided I like the redo and I just finished framing it.