Translate

Monday, October 06, 2014

Rusty Gate Post ~ complete?



Hi! Remember me? Well, here's my rusty gate. I'm happy with the gate but got stuck on the background which threw me into a sort of paralysis. I hate when that happens. It's like I can't move on until I solve this problem or the world will end. Crazy, huh? I'm still not happy with the background but it's time to post this 'as is' so I can start something new. This piece will land on the 'complete?' pile along with a few others that never quite made the grade.

To be more specific, I was very happy that I was able to make the chipped paint on the fence posts, which I hand painted, mesh with the egg shell paint chips on the actual gate post. After attempting some sort of background there was a noticeable disconnect between the gate and BG additions. But what to do? The gate is so busy I felt the background needed to be understated so as not to compete so I didn't think I could add any collage material to the tree trunk. Did I even need a tree trunk? What else would I put there? I don't know! The solution is probably simple and right before my eyes but I've looked too long at this to see it objectively anymore. Time for a time out.

Reference photo courtesy of ESP on PMP  

4 comments:

Pat said...

Simply wow! Love all the texture and feeling in this painting.

Billie Crain said...

Thank you so much, Pat!

Unknown said...

hi Billy,
love the old gatepost. maybe add some dried grasses to the background? or paint them there very very lightly?

Billie Crain said...

I thought of that, Cecile. Thanks. :) I think I'm going to leave it as is for now, though. It's growing on me.