Translate

Monday, March 24, 2014

Experiment ~ acrylic gesso and gloss gel medium on matboard



...and finished with Ranger alcohol ink. I've wanted to give this a try to see if it would work and I'd say it was successful. I used a dried bloom of a large ornamental grass and embedded it with Liquitex acrylic gesso onto 3/16" white matboard. I've done this before with dried oak leaves (link) . I then gave it a coat of Liquitex Gloss Gel medium diluted with a little water. When that was dry I rubbed walnut ink over the entire surface and wiped away the excess. The walnut ink ran into all the nooks and crannies and gave the piece an antiqued look. I could've stopped there but I wanted to see how Ranger ink behaved on the gloss medium so when that was dry I gave this another light coat of gloss medium. It served to preserve the effects of the walnut ink and gave me a slick surface to apply the alcohol ink. Then I added the ink and found it moved well on the gloss surface. I had a bit more control than on Yupo but the effects were basically the same. I used Ranger's Caramel, Clover and Copper mixative.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

very good indeed.
nice that you did give a discription of how you worked. I will try it out soon to see if I will be able to make something so beautifull as you did.

in case you want to see some of my work ( I alter books) :
http://eennieuwestart.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/altered-book-made-in-commission/

Billie Crain said...

I'd love to see some of your altered books, Cecile. I don't think your link worked well. I wound up on page with collage mandalas. Send me a hot link via email: billiec71351@yahoo.com