Translate

Monday, April 29, 2013

Alcohol Ink on Copper Leaf


Another experiment and I think this has definite possibilities! I applied Mona Lisa copper Simple Leaf with Mona Lisa leaf adhesive to a 5" x 7" piece of Yupo. I then applied the inks, hoping to create a semi-abstract seascape at sunset. The inks reacted well on the copper leafed surface giving me slightly more control than on plain Yupo. I was even able to apply ink in a more painterly fashion to the sky area with a small flat brush. I did add a little rubbing alcohol to the lower portion to get ink moving but it didn't seem to affect the leaf at all. I also like the texture the leaf created when applied. I've got another piece in the works using silver Simple Leaf. The silver leaf went on with much less texture so we'll see what I can do with that.

4 comments:

cecile graven said...

Beautifull again . Did you have to seal the inks on the copperplate?

Billie Crain said...

Thanks, Cecile! I used Mona Lisa Simple Leaf which doesn't require sealing. It's also much less expensive than regular metal leaf but applies easier and looks the same.

Billie Crain said...

oops...I didn't answer your question. I'm not sure I will seal the finished painting. I have a can of Krylon Archival UV protectant spray but I'd like to try it on a sample piece before turning loose on a finished painting. If it dissolves the ink or reacts with the leafing I'll frame it behind UV protectant Plexi.

cecile graven said...

Thnx Billie,
I did not know there are more kinds of copperleaf. Will look if it is sold in my country.
I asked about the sealing because I have had bad experiences with sealing spray and alcohol inks on copper. It desolved the inks.
Good idea to use plexi. even better not having to seal it at all.