Here is the latest update. I've made some progress but had hoped to be further along by now. The girls are finally starting to get their hair and I need to work on the grass as well. Ah, the grass. There will be lots of it as this is a full sheet of 300# Arches CP w/c paper. It's been a long time since I've worked on this weight of paper and forgot how it loves to gobble up pigment. I'm also used to working on bright white paper (and this isn't) but my reasoning is twofold. My client requested that the palette for this portrait go with her wallpaper. It doesn't have to match but can not clash. She sent me a sample so I have a reference to work by and the colors are low chroma for the most part so bright white paper wasn't necessary. Also this portrait will hang in an area that may expose it to some humidity and the 300# is less likely to buckle.
Working out the background has been challenging. I have only a very basic knowledge of landscape painting and how to create depth of field so I'm learning more as I go. My client suggested the tea party be flanked by trees and trees I do know how to paint. I decided a lavendar hedge would be lovely on the right but I'm not sure what's going on the left yet.