Translate

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Dahlia wip


I found a great reference and did a crop so I could complete this as a macro. The paper is Fabriano 140# CP bright white paper. I'm using a very limited palette...Daler/Rowney Alizarin Crimson, Indian Yellow and a bit of Burnt Umber on the flower. I'll work out the BG when the flower is finished. Working up with various light washes seems to be helping. I've found I have more control of the paint and am using less water. In retrospect I realize I've been overwetting my paper and then not allowing enough time for it to dry to the right stage of dampness. Patience is not one of my virtues unfortunately.

3 comments:

Robin Neudorfer said...

Billie - you are just getting better and better. The palette is brilliant and really pulls the light through the petals. I will be watching the progress.

Anita said...

Billie - colours are gorgeous - looking forward to seeing more of this.

Billie Crain said...

Thanks Robin and Anita! i'm pretty happy w/this one so far.